Free Press under arrest for a month: We are being prosecuted for journalism

  • actual
  • 11:10 28 November 2022
  • |
img
ANKARA - Journalists, who have been imprisoned for a month for their professional activities, stated that they were arrested with a political motive and said, “The government is trying to spread a climate of oppression and fear in the society by arresting us. We are being prosecuted for journalism."
 
Diren Yurtsever, Editor-in-Chief of the Mezopotamya Agency (MA), reporters Deniz Nazlım, Berivan Altan, Selman Güzelyüz, Hakan Yalçın, Emrullah Acar, Ceylan Şahinli, JINNEWS reporters Habibe Eren and Öznur Değer, who was detained under torture as part of the Ankara-based investigation on October 25 was arrested on October 29 for their journalistic activities. MA reporter Zemo Ağgöz, who was detained within the scope of the same investigation, was released on condition of house arrest, and Mehmet Günhan, who worked as an intern in the Ankara office of MA for a while, was released under judicial control.
 
Journalists accused because of their work, their phone calls with news sources, and their travels as part of their professional activities, have been held in prison for a month. Journalists held in Sincan Women's Closed Prison and Sincan No. 1 High Security Prison sent messages in the first month of their arrest.
 
THEIR WARD WAS PREPARED BEFORE THEY GAVE THEIR STATEMENTS
 
In the joint message of the journalists, they said that the unlawfulness that started with their detention continued in prison for the last month. Journalists who said, "We were arrested with political motive," described this process as follows: "We were detained for 4 days. On the 4th day, we were taken to the courthouse. We did not give any statement until we were taken to the courthouse. However, on the 3rd day of our detention, a ward was prepared for us in Sincan, before our statement was taken and before we were brought to court. The ward where we stayed as 5 female journalists was evacuated the day before the arrest, saying it would be painted. When we were arrested a day later, we were brought to the ward. The ward was painted and its walls were falling apart.”
 
OUR ARREST WAS AS A RESULT OF AN INSTRUCTION
 
Emphasizing that the police's attempts to "subdue" and the perception created by the presentation of the footage during their detention were part of the political instruction, the journalists said, “26 Free Press workers have been arrested in the last 5 months. Why were Free Press workers arrested? The current political atmosphere and past experiences provide the answer to this question. The government is trying to get out of this process, in which the political, social and economic crisis has deepened, unscathed. For this, it implements all kinds of unlawfulness and anti-democratic practices. Our arrest is part of this ring of unlawfulness."
 
EFFORTS TO SPREAD FEAR
 
Underlining that the arrest of Free Press workers is not independent of the Kurdish question, which is the bleeding wound of the country, the journalists said, “We have become the target of the government, which approaches this problem with war policies under the name of 'security'. They want us not to see, hear or know the truth. If the press doesn't see the truth, if it doesn't know, the society won't know either. But we saw the truth and we did not remain silent. The government, which controls most of the media, is trying to intimidate the press that it cannot control. The government is trying to spread a climate of oppression and fear in society by arresting us. The news we made on the field, our social media activities, the TV shows we presented, were made the subject of accusations. We are prosecuted for our professional activities, for journalism. They shouldn't even have detained us with this file they have, yet we were arrested."
 
 

View More Articles

09:39 Reporter detained together with the person he interviewed
09:29 Riot in Hatay Prison: 3 prisoners lost their lives
09:16 People who rent ladles take bodies out
09:15 Journalists were asked why they were in earthquake area
08/02/2023
19:41 NetBlock: Twitter restricted in Turkey
19:35 Transport Minister condemned left
19:29 Condemnation the blocking of journalists in the earthquake area
19:18 Journalists who shot the earthquake rubble were detained
18:52 'Rescue teams are insufficient, pro-media does not tell the truth'
15:50 In Adıyaman, the corpses and the wounded are held waiting in the hospital.
15:44 tate of Emergency decision presented to Parliament
15:41 Condemnation from Urfa: Municipality does not help
15:10 Earthquake expert Karabulut: The government is responsible for this massacre
14:23 The dormitory, which the ministry has shown as a shelter, is damaged
14:22 WHO Declared 'Level 3 Emergency'
14:21 Earthquake victims marched to the governorship in Adıyaman
14:21 Message 'we are alive' from under the rubble, but there is no rescue team!
13:16 JMO President Önalan: If precautions were taken, it would not be so devastating
12:31 Citizens look for food and water in half-destroyed İslahiye
12:21 Earthquake Victims: A city was destroyed
10:59 Where were the earthquake taxes of the people spent?
10:16 Third day of the earthquake: The overall death toll is 6 thousand 234
08:54 State of Emergency decision in the Official Gazette
07/02/2023
18:54 Investigation against journalists after the state of emergency
18:29 Tayip Temel: Government turns the disaster into an opportunity with the state of emergency
16:34 After 36 hours, search and rescue team is at the wreckage
16:03 State of Emergency declared in 10 provinces of earthquake zone
15:21 Search and rescue efforts in Iskenderun started after 30 hours
14:11 No team, no news from districts and villages
13:43 Entrance to Maraş, Hatay and Adıyaman been stopped
13:26 Request for help from under the rubble in Adıyaman
12:41 Condemnation the claim of Erdoğan that 'AFAD has arrived': They took a picture and left
12:20 After the earthquake in Çukurova: There is no state
12:06 The second day of the earthquake: Public condemned government
11:15 A collapse occurred on the walls of Diyarbakır
10:20 The death toll climbed to 3 thousand 381
10:02 First night in Malatya: We were left alone
09:30 Half of İslahiye was destroyed!
09:24 The number of people who lost their lives increased to 2 thousand 379
09:10 People are under rubble in Semsûr: No search and rescue efforts
06/02/2023
18:25 WHO: We are concerned about the regions that we cannot hear from
17:29 New balance sheet from AFAD: 1121 people lost their lives
17:01 People march to the governorship in Diyarbakır
16:30 Kenanoğlu: Earthquake zones cannot be reached except by helicopter
16:23 AFAD: 1014 people lost their lives
15:11 EU countries and Russia send rescue teams to Turkey
15:01 Another 7.5 magnitude earthquake in Maraş
14:51 Erdoğan: 912 people died in the earthquake so far
14:44 84-year earthquake state OF Turkey: 56 thousand 65 people lost their lives
14:07 Call from KCK for mobilization for earthquake