'Meet the justified and legitimate demands of the prisoners'

  • actual
  • 12:15 6 January 2021
  • |
img
ANKARA – Sharing the information that the violations of rights of the prisoners continue in prisons, ÖHD member Attorney Kenan Maçoğlu called for the legitimate and justified demands of the prisoners to be met immediately. 
 
The hunger strike initiated by political prisoners demanding an end to the isolation against imprisoned PKK Leader Abdullah Öcalan in Imrali Prison and the increasing violations of rights in prisons is on day 41. Lawyers for Freedom (ÖHD) Ankara Branch Prisons Commission conducted interviews with prisoners in the Central Anatolia Region in 14 prisons.
 
131 PRISONERS IN 8 PRISONS
 
The 8th groups took over the hunger strike in prisons. Groups of two are on hunger strike in Eskişehir, Sincan Women's, Kayseri Women's and Karabük Prisons, groups of 3 in Kayseri No 1 Type T and Kırıkkale Prisons are on hunger strike. 131 prisoners in 8 prisons participated in the hunger strikes so far.
 
Attorney Kenan Maçoğlu from the prisons comission told about the violations of rights in prisons.
 
Explaining that the violations of rights increased during the pandemic, Maçoğlu told that wards are being raided a few times a month despite the pandemic.
 
Pointing out that Yeni Yaşam Newspaper and newspapers like Evrensel and Birgün aren't given to the prisoners, Maçoğlu said that the radios confiscated during the hunger strikes in 2019 are still not returned to the prisoners. Att. Maçoğlu said: "Only the pro-government TV channels are allowed in the prisons. The social activities are totally banned. Contact visits with families aren't allowed."
 
Underlining that access to health care is also problematic, Maçoğlu said: "There are restirctions on non contact visits as well on grounds of disciplinary punishments. 3 prisoners who resisted standing up during count are held in solitary confinement in Kırşehir Prison, including HDP Kırşehir former Provincial Co-chair Attorney Saim Özdemir. Prisoners who resist strip search in Sincan No 1 Type F Prison are being tortured. Execution judges uphold the disciplinary punishments without making an inquiry."
 
'MEET THE DEMANDS'
 
Stating that the hunger strikers told that the hunger strike will continue until their demands are met, Maçoğlu said: "There was a hunger strike against isolation back in 2019. Even though the ministry allowed the families and the attorneys to go to İmralı after the hunger strike, they banned visits since August 2019. The families of the prisoners in İmralı were able to visit İmralı on March 3, 2020 after a fire broke out in the İmralı Island.The isolation is getting deeper in other prisons as well. The legitimate and justified demands of the prisoners must be met immediately before the rotating hunger strike turns into non-rotating hunger strike."
 
Maçoğlu also noted that he sent a petition to both the prison administrations and the Ministry of Justice demanding that the prisoners on hunger strike be transferred to Imrali Prison.
 
MA / Berivan Altan 

View More Articles

23/04/2021
14:35 Economist Pelda: Turkey exhaused its economy waging war against the Kurds
11:03 Armenian Genocide: We still feel it in our bones
09:41 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 148
22/04/2021
17:03 Regime militias broke ceasefire, clashes resumed
15:51 Decision to seperate the case in Özgür Gündem trial
15:51 AYM rejects appeal for Cizre basements where people were burned to death
13:53 European politicians call for solidarity with HDP
13:28 Attorneys of Öcalan submit new application for a visit in İmralı
13:27 Kurdish Journalists: Pens of Ersöz and Anter will continue to write
12:13 Before and after of Kobané Protests
10:38 Beştaş: They will be the ones standing trial in Kobané Case
10:11 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 147
21/04/2021
12:32 Şenyaşar family: Remaining silent in the face of oppression is being a partner in the crime
12:00 Ministry of Transport: Kurdish cannot be used on airplanes
11:03 Old woman barricades road on her own: You can not pass into Shengal!
11:00 Prosecution commits crime using inadmissable tapes in the case of journalists
10:00 30th group takes over the rotating hunger strike
09:59 Qamishlo Internal Security Forces and National Defence militias clashes renew
20/04/2021
15:01 Sancar: Kobané case is a conspiracy case
12:33 Arrest of HDP MPs suggested with unsigned note sent to Kobané case prosecutor
11:26 Attorneys of Öcalan submit new application for a visit in İmralı
11:25 Şenyaşar Family: Tyrants will fall soon
09:57 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 145
09:56 House of 90 year old citizen raided by police 111 times
09:13 Mazloum Ebdi and Kurd met with Swedish Defense Minister
19/04/2021
16:13 Gergerlioğlu's 'Justice Watch' to continue in Kocaeli
14:17 Investigation against 6 municipalities for 'human trafficking'
12:50 Law suit filed against 97 students in Boğaziçi
12:35 Attorneys of Öcalan submits new application for a visit in İmralı
12:34 ÇGD Award for 'Successful Journalists' goes to our reporter Cemil Uğur
12:23 Bayındır: The stance of İmralı is the stance of peace
12:23 TEPAV: Women’s employment shrinks in Turkey in January
11:29 Hunger strike in prisons enters day 144
11:28 'Ankara Convention' confines the women within boundaries
11:27 Teaching at Kobané University, Zizek: We will learn to rebuild democracy from the Kurds
11:27 Violent clashes in Serêkaniye: Mortar shell hits Ceylanpınar
17/04/2021
14:58 'The prosecutor expressed opinion based on witness statement he did't believe'
14:35 Torture at border: A border tradesperson killed
13:44 Aydeniz: Opposition that doesn't approach the Kurdish problem with courage can not come to power
12:36 Özer the Ministry of Interior announced to be killed, turns up at the hospital
11:14 File of Remziye Bor goes towards to remain unsolved!
10:08 'This unlawfulness in İmralı must end'
09:39 Keskin: Kurdish Language Campaign must be supported
09:16 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 142
16/04/2021
16:44 OSCE has requested information about 24 journalists from Turkey
15:01 Trees are cut down within the scope of the operation in Diyarbakır
14:07 Support from 17 organizations to Freedom for Öcalan campaign
13:26 Strip search imposed on sick prisoner in Balıkesir
13:06 Hadcuffed photo of Özer whom the ministry told was killed turned up
13:05 New application submitted by Öcalan's attorneys, family and guardian