Investigation against 4 journalists makes no headway for 90 days

  • actual
  • 16:36 7 January 2021
  • |
img

VAN - The investigation launched against 4 journalists on grounds of breaking the story of two villagers thrown from a military helicopter left behind 90 days. The journalists stated that their imprisonment pending trial turned into a punishment by itself said: "Protect our profession!"

 
Mesopotamia Agency reporters Adnan Bilen and Cemil Uğur, Jinnews reporter Şehriban Abi and journalist Nazan Sala who broke the story about Osman Şiban and Servet Turgut, thrown from a military helicopter while they were detained by the soldiers, were detained with raids on their homes on October 6. Former newspaper distributers Şükran Erdem, Mikail Tunçdemir and Fehim Çetiner were also detained within the scope of the same investigation. On october 9, four journalists were arrested by the court while the former newspaper distributers were released. The court arrested the four journalists on ground of 'making news or interviews of social incidents against the state'. 
 
2 MORE JOURNALISTS DETAINED AFTER 70 DAYS
 
70 days after the arrest of the four journalists, our reporter Zeynep Durgut was taken into custody within the scope of the same imvestigation. Durgut was released with judicial control measures after 4 days of detention. Former newspaper distributer Ferdi Sertkal who was detained at the same time in a different city with Durgut was also released with judicial control measures. Despite the statements of Durgut and Sertal was added to the case file, the investigation is still not complete after 90 days.
  
All demands concerning the release of the journalists were rejected so far. An appeal was made to the Constitutional Court (AYM) lately. It was learned that the journalists whose statements were taken a few days ago regarding their status, were not released.
 
Lawyers informed that the indictment about the journalists will be completed and submitted to the court in the coming days.
 
Adnan Bilen and Cemil Uğur, journalists who have been detained for 90 days, once again called on all journalist organizations and non-governmental organizations to "protect the profession" with the message they sent from prison.
 
IMPRISONMENT PENDING TRIAL IS A PUNISHMENT BY ITSELF
 
Journalist Adnan Bilen stated that the court will not be able to determine the way they practice their profession. Drawing attention to the fact that their imprisonment pending trial is a punishment by itself, Bilen said: "Every journalist writing the truth in this oppressive regime is our honour. No one can voer up the truth by arresting journalists. They don't want anyone opposing them, journalist, politician or anyone else. There will ofcourse be people who shout out the truth no matter what in these dark days. Covering up the truth have never worked through out the history and it never will. Therefore, we are standing tall and proud. It must be known that this is will be the trial of all free press employees and journalists. If we are convicted no journalist without a press card given by the government will be able to do their jobs. We call on to all press and media organizations to stand with us."
 
MESSAGE OF UĞUR
 
Journalist Cemil Uğur noted that their arrest was the result of a political decision and said: "In this country, the free press have never been given press cards by the government. As the free press workers that deliver the truth to the people, we know that these decisions aim to bury the truth. We know that they targeted Mesopotamia Agency. We will continue to protect the honour of our profession so that the public recieves true and accurate news."
 
MA / Müjdat Can
 
 
 
 
 
 

View More Articles

05/05/2022
19:18 Lawyer police battered in front of HDP Headquarters taken to hospital with a head trauma
17:03 Police provocation continues in front of HDP
16:10 Ferit Şenyaşar: A legal step was taken but the demands were not met
16:10 Police blockaded HDP Headquarters, threatened HDP MP
16:09 Rangers forced to take part in Turkey's attacks against Kurds says they are depressed
16:08 People of border city Uludere: Kurds must rise against betrayel
15:59 Lawyers of Öcalan submit new application for a meeting with their client
14:02 Emine Çağırga: Those who told my daughter was a terrorist are attacking Bashur today
14:01 Tevgera Azadî: War started with the conspiracy against Öcalan
09:25 Shengal plans of KDP fails
04/05/2022
15:47 PUK accuses KDP for fleeing Shengal: You fled, you left the people to the hands of ISIS gangs
15:46 Hunger strike in Islahiye Prison enters day 29
13:59 Brother of soldier killed in Turkish operation joins 'Life Watch' against war
13:58 Şenyaşar family welcoming guests for Ramadan holiday
13:57 Former peshmerga: Erdogan's only dream is to extend its borders to the Ottoman borders again
11:49 YBŞ: Iraq received orders for attacks from KDP and Turkey
11:47 Ciziten on sit-in protest for 5 years demanding freedom for Öcalan
11:45 Catalonian Parliament: Turkey's attacks must be stopped
11:41 Kobanê and Hesekê calls for reinforcement for Shengal
01/05/2022
19:22 Tens of thousands called from Ankara: Resistance will win
17:42 İstanbul May Day: Isolation protested, Gezi supported by masses
16:48 Ankara May 1 Celebrations with photos
15:50 May 1 in Diyarbakır: Betrayal and war will lose
15:35 May 1 in İzmir: Gündoğdu Square filled with workers
14:35 May 1 Celebrations in İstanbul: No to war and exploitation
13:25 Thousands march to May 1 celebration area
12:02 From Edirne to Kars: Workers and peoples flocking to May 1 celebrations
11:52 Workers flocking to May 1 Celebrations in Diyarbakır
11:25 Dozens marching to Taksim in İstanbul, detained
11:06 A wreath for May 1 placed in Taksim
30/04/2022
16:50 Historian Türkyılmaz: Erdoğan continues his 'loyal Kurd' policy with the KDP
14:45 Military activity in Gürpınar: Photo traps placed
14:11 Kurdish prisoner held in a solitary confinement by 'special' order of the Ministry
13:16 11 Turkish soldiers died in Hakkari, villages forced to migration
11:48 Şenyaşar family: Mothers will not submit to persecution
11:37 Letter from female prisoners: We are face to face with aggravated isolation
29/04/2022
15:05 Seperate departments for soldiers established in hospitals at the Iraqi border
14:29 Prosecutors of Şenyaşar case can not be reached
13:02 Öcalan's family, lawyers and legal guardian applies for a visit due to Ramadan Holiday
12:39 Peshmerga refusing to take part in the attacks, dismissed
12:18 The attack on Zap and Avaşîn is coordinated from the South
11:29 KDP besieges the border of Northern and Eastern Syria
28/04/2022
16:15 "Justice will not come to Turkey without justice comes for Roboski"
15:59 How are non-Pêshmerga armed special forces used?
14:54 Şenyaşar family: Our demand is the demand of millions
14:51 Speaking at the PACE, Uca: Police violence files are pending
14:42 Lawyers of Öcalan submit new application for a meeting with their client
11:34 Visiting ban on Öcalan without any justification
11:13 'How will Barzani look into the eyes of mothers?'
27/04/2022
15:16 Former rangers: Brothers should not kill each other