Boğaziçi University protests: 10 people placed under house arrest

  • actual
  • 10:40 3 February 2021
  • |
img
İSTANBUL - Detained for the second time for joining the protests against the appointed rector of Boğaziçi University, 10 people have been placed under house arrest.
 
After the police detained 159 people for participating in the protests against the appointment of Melih Bulu as a rector to Boğaziçi University, 10 people were taken into custody again yesterday (February 2). After they gave their statements at the prosecutor's office, they were referred to the Penal Judgeship of Peace on Duty with a request for their house arrest.
 
According to the social media post of the Progressive Lawyers Association (ÇHD) İstanbul Branch, 10 people have been placed under house arrest without standing before the penal judgeship of peace.
 
In a previous post yesterday, the ÇHD İstanbul Branch announced that a detention warrant was issued against 10 people who had been released one day before. These people were reportedly held in the Counterterrorism Branch of the security directorate. At around 7 p.m. yesterday, the ÇHD said that 10 people were referred to the judgeship for house arrest.
 
PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE: 98 PEOPLE RELEASED
 
In a statement released by the İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office, it was said that "of the 108 suspects who violated the law no. 2911 on meetings and demonstrations by attending illegal demonstrations organized by some groups and refusing to disperse despite warnings, 98 were released after they gave their statements at the law enforcement offices."
 
It noted that "the statements of 10 suspects were taken by the İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office and the imposition of a judicial control measure in the form of not leaving the residence was requested for them." The İstanbul Penal Judgeship of Peace on Duty has ruled that these 10 people shall be placed under house arrest, according to the statement.
 
The office has also announced that the proceedings against 51 people who were detained "on charges of depriving a person of his or her liberty, damaging public property and violating the law no. 2911 are still ongoing." These people allegedly "surrounded the Rector's Office at the campus and prevented the rectorate personnel from leaving the building."

View More Articles

24/05/2021
13:10 İzmir Bar Association files criminal complaint against Peker, Soylu and Ağar
12:30 Lawyers of Öcalan submits new application for a visit in İmralı
11:18 Şenyaşar Family: Killers are known but there is no prosecutor in sight
10:14 Hunger strike in prisons enters day 179
09:42 Law suit filed against musicians singing Kurdish songs
09:24 Politicians detained with raids on their homes: 49 detained
22/05/2021
10:15 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 177
21/05/2021
18:34 Kobané case adjourned without prosecution's opinion
18:05 New application submitted by Öcalan's attorneys, family and guardian
17:10 Kobané Case: Open a path for the facts to be revealed
15:13 Kaftancıoğlu to be brought to court by force
14:21 Kobané Case: We are making our defences under arms
12:41 Witness statements taken without lawyers and without getting to substance of case
12:07 Third session of Kobané Case starts
10:16 Combat pilot Altan: Wouldn't those who execute prisoners of war use chemical weapons?
09:33 36th group takes over the rotating hunger strike
20/05/2021
15:35 Kobané Case protested under police blockade
13:51 Kışanak: We are giving you a chance to get out of this embarresment
13:03 Lawyers of Öcalan submit new application for a visit in İmralı
12:04 Şenyaşar family, battered and detained
11:59 Kobanê trial resumes today in Ankara
11:20 Şenyaşar family calls for the Minister of Justice to resign
11:12 Hunger strike in prisons enters day 175
19/05/2021
12:16 Silence in Diyarbakır following attack on Diyarbakır 8th Main Jet Command
12:15 Operation against Partizan members: 7 detained
09:59 Police raid on Van MEBYA- DER: Co-chair detained
09:40 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 174
18/05/2021
15:41 Demirtaş: Erdogan, Bahçeli and Soylu are sitting in the judge's seat
14:10 AKP's Usta wishes judges of Kobané Case success
14:01 Meeting held between SDF and a U.S. delegation
13:54 HDP's Tiryaki: We are faced with a special court board created for Kobané Case alone
12:38 Second hearing of Kobané Case started
12:37 Şenyaşar family: We will not lose hope
10:58 Lawyers of Öcalan submits new application for a visit in İmralı
10:55 Journalists banned from court in Kobané hearing
10:23 Turkish soldiers raids houses of HDP politicians in Mardin and Diyarbakır
09:49 Hunger strikes in prisons enters day 173
09:09 Second hearing of Kobané Case starts today
17/05/2021
13:25 Military personnel deployed to İkizdere
12:04 Lawyers of Öcalan submits new application for a visit in İmralı
11:32 Şenyaşar family back in Urfa Court for sit in
11:05 Assault report not given despite proof of torture
10:15 Those tortured in Halfeti in prison while torturers remain free
09:37 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 172
14/05/2021
12:09 Şenyaşar family: We will never give up
11:01 Farqînî: All mother tongues are halal like your mother's milk
10:12 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 169
13/05/2021
12:22 Blood collection tubes discovered in Cemetery of the Nameless in Diyarbakır
12:18 Siwêd: Turkey uses Euphrates River as a tool for war
10:21 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 168