'Turkey owes me peace and a life'

img
ŞIRNAK - Although 25 years have passed since the death of Hanım Eren, who was said to have committed suicide while she was under police custody at the Silopi Security Directorate, not one single person was prosecuted. Her husband Osman Eren said, "Turkey owes me peace and a life."
 
25 years have passed since the death of Hanım Eren, mother of 6 children, who was tortured and murdered at the age of 21, in the Barbaros District of Şırnak after being detained by the police with her husband Osman Eren on September 25, 1996. While not one single person was prosecuted for her murder so far, it was claimed that Eren has committed suicide. Trying to make her death look like a suicide, police told her husband Osman Eren, "Your wife did not speak to us. She worked for the PKK, if she had spoken we would have caught a lot of people but she didn't, and she hung herself."
 
An autopsy report was prepared in the State Hospital for Hanım Eren, whose body was taken to Diyarbakır by the police after being tortured to death during detention. However, there were traces of torture on Hanım Eren's body. After Eren was buried, her grave was subjected to police attacks many times. Stating that he has never believed in the claims that she committed suicide, her husband Osman Eren has been seeking justice for 25 years.
 
SUICIDE CLAIMS
 
Stating that their home was raided by the police early that morning, Eren said: "Me and my wife were detained after the police raid. They took us to the Silopi District Security Directorate. I was held with my wife for three days. Then they took her to another room. The next day, one of the policemen came and took me to the room where their superiors were. They left all my belongings on the table. The police told me, 'Your wife committed suicide by hanging herself with her dress while she was in custody. As soon as we noticed, we took her to the hospital. She was referred to Diyarbakır State Hospital. We don't know if she's alive or not.' Then they said, 'If you want, you can go to Diyarbakır to the hospital, too.' But I told them I was not able to do that. My wife was not a person who would commit suicide.They told me to go home. I came home after I was released."
 
DEATH THREATS
 
Underlining that he was constantly threatened by the police after being released, Eren said: "When I went home, I saw that there was a lot of people home. My wife had lost her life at the hospital. They brought her body later that evening. Our house was surrounded by the police. We buried her properly when the police left. I went back to the police station 3 days after we buried my wife. Police threatened me and said: "Leave the city or you'll die. Go to Iraq."
 
TRACES OF TORTURE 
 
Stating that they killed his wife and sent her body to Diyarbakır to cover up the murder, Eren said: "There were traces of torture on her body. Her whole body was covered in bruises. The police had said that she hanged herself with her dress. But my wife was not the kind of person that could kill herself. They even remove the shoe laces when they detain you. How can a person hang themselves with their dress? I still don't believe it." 
 
DETAINED 13 TIMES
 
Stating that he was detained 13 times between 1989 and 1990, Eren said he was electrocuted and tortured 12 times. Eren said: "They took my clothes of and hung me to the ceiling. They tortured me with cold water and electric. I will never forget those days. Nobody did what the state did to me. But everyone needs justice. My wife was murdered 25 years ago and still not one single person is prosecuted. This state owes me peace and a life. I have been waiting for justice for 25 years. We don't want war, bloodshed and tears. Let this tyranny end.
 
Stating that they were able to file a criminal complaint only in 2013 due to the pressure they were subjected to, the family stated that  no progress was made despite hearing the witnesses in the investigation run by the prosecutor.
 
 
MA / Zeynep Durgut

View More Articles

24/09/2021
16:49 200th day of the Justice Watch: Demands of Şenyaşar family are our demands
15:54 CİSST Legal Advisor: Jurisdiction handed over to prison administrations
15:53 Günay: Öcalan has repeatedly stated that the place for solution is Parliament
11:10 Galatasaray Square under police blockade again
11:09 People of Van says solution is not possible without Öcalan
23/09/2021
15:39 Özcan’s son, who lost his life in prison: we dont know the cause of death
15:02 Tuncel: I have no expectations, I rejected your court board
13:47 Kobané Case: Altınörs says the case is legally stillborn
12:58 Drought reduces water in Van lake
12:57 Şenyaşar family lawyers calls on colleagues to court house
22/09/2021
16:12 Asrın Law Office: Talking about the Kurdish question without Öcalan is not a solution
14:03 Maxmur Camp residents: They bombed our villages 30 years ago, now they are bombing our camp
14:03 Özsoy: If the ECtHR decisions are not implemented, the discussions about expulsion from the EC will begin
10:49 Son of Laçin brought to HDP in provocation: He subjected us to violence for years
10:48 200 lawyers to stand with Şenyaşar family on 200th day
21/09/2021
17:42 Kobané hearing postponed for two days after judge was quarantined due to Covid
16:58 Emine Şenyaşar's invitation for solidarity to attorneys
13:21 First arrest warrant in the Vartinis Massacre case 28 years later
13:20 Kobané Case attorney says if lost document's found, conspiracy will reveal itself
20/09/2021
17:08 Kobané Case hearing postponed until tomorrow
16:32 How many YPG members were treated in Kobané Protests?
14:57 Dress sent to Güven rejected by prison administration on grounds of its colours
14:56 HDP Co-chair Pervin Buldan: Real perpetrators are being protected
14:56 9 Iranian Kurds detained, handed over to FSA
13:14 Kobanê Case: Lawyers raise procedural objections
12:25 Şenyaşar: We will stop this tyranny with solidarity
11:51 Journalists and observers not allowed in court room in Kobané Case
11:51 Kurdish forbidden in Afrin!
11:26 Yousif Ismael: US is to withdraw from Syria and stay in Iraq
18/09/2021
13:00 Turkish soldiers threw refugees into river in Uzunköprü
17/09/2021
16:53 Turkey shells Ain Issa, casualties rises to 4 as shelling proceeds
16:33 Application to Imrali Prison Directorate for interview with Öcalan
16:32 Attorney Bek: Mehmet Emin Özkan is left for dead
11:16 Şenyaşar family to prosecutor: If you can't provide justice, resign
11:11 Court ignores hate crime despite confession
10:07 Platform Against Occupation: Every Kurd must take their place in the resistance
16/09/2021
15:40 Yazidis will frustrate the plans made against Shengal in elections
15:38 Seriously ill prisoner Özkan remains imprisoned: He can't understand you!
15:37 Provocation in HDP HQ: You can't bring the killer of Deniz Poyraz here
15:36 Ferit Şenyaşar demands to know who the gunman was
11:30 81 people arrested by KDP on hunger strike
11:29 Monument for Ankara Massacre promised by Ankara Mayor Yavaş, dragged out
15/09/2021
15:43 Statement on refugees and migration
12:15 Şenyaşar family in front of courthouse on day 191
12:14 Kurdish youth dancing the Halay to a Kurdish song sued for 'propagandizing a terrorist organization'
10:33 New footage revealed in Şenyaşar Case: Attacker with Kalashnikov absent in file
09:43 Apê Nemir: Erdoğan is weighed by Kobané
13/09/2021
13:52 Attorneys of Öcalan applied for a meeting in İmralı
13:52 Police attacks lawyers and observers in Ayşe Gökkan hearing
12:48 HDP PM: We will step up the common struggle against isolation