'We have seen by experience that there is no freedom of thought and expression'

  • actual
  • 11:16 28 October 2020
  • |
img

DİYARBAKIR - Today is the fourth year anniversary of 116 press and broadcasting organizations had been closed with law decrees. Reminding that AKP was propagandizing the freedom of thought and expression when it first started, Van TV Editor in Chief Serdar Altan said: "We have seen by experience that there is no freedom of thought and expression." 

 
The state of emergency declared after the failed military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 was over on July 17, 2018 but the state of emergency applications continue. The government issued 36 Decree Laws during this period, based on its power to issue a Statutory Decree under the mandate of the state of emergency law. 
 
The government's primary target was the Kurdish press and the opposition press because it could not control them, even though they took the central media under control. With the law decree number 668, issued 12 days after the coup attempt, 18 televisions,  3 news agencies, 23 radios, 45 newspapers, 15 magazines, 29 publishing houses and distribution channels were closed. Among the televisions that were shut down were IMC TV, Hayat’ın Sesi TV, Özgür Gün TV, Jiyan TV, Azadi TV, Denge TV, Van TV, Van Genç TV, TV 10, Mesopotamya TV, Birlik Medya TV, Zarok TV.
 
The second decree for the press was the decree numbered 675, issued on October 29. With this decree, 15 media outlets including Dicle News Agency (DİHA), Jin News Agency (JINHA), Özgür Gündem newspaper and Azadiya Welat newspaper were closed.
 
National and international media professional organizations reported that during the state of emergency, 178 organizations including the press organizations and their affiliated distribution companies were shut down, while the number of media organizations closed according to the government was 116.
 
Responding to the parliamentary question of CHP Deputy Sezgin Tanrıkulu regarding how many press and broadcasters were closed during the state of emergency, Deputy Prime Minister Hakan Çavuşoğlu, announced that 6 news agencies, 18 televisions, 22 radios, 50 newspapers and 20 magazines (a total of 116) were closed.
 
'THIS IS FASCISM'
 
Van TV Editor-in-Chief and Dicle Fırat Journalists Association (DFG) Co-chair Serdar Altan reminded that AKP was propagandizing the freedom of thought and expression when it first started, Van TV Editor in Chief Serdar Altan said: "We have seen by experience that there is no freedom of thought and expression." 
 
Stating that what's happening is fascism, Altan said: "This has been coming since 2016. Pressuring press was one of the indications. Many operations were carried out against the press under the roof of KCK Press case. But they understood that they couldn't silence the Kurdish press, the free press with tactics like these. Because the tradition of free press started back in the 90's and have been through worse. No matter what they tried they couldn't silence the free press and they couldn't prevent us from exposing their dirty laundry.
 
'IT WAS THE VOICE OF ALL OF THE WOMEN IN THE MIDDLE EAST'
 
Stating that they established JİNHA with the slogan 'We are writing without thinking what the men would think', news editor of Jinha which was closed down with a law decree Derya Ceylan said: "We established Jinha on March 8 International Women's Day with a focus on women, children and ecology. It was a new era. Jinha was not only the voice of the Kurdish women, but also the voice of all women in the Middle East."
 
Noting that they have created a new language, far away from the masculine language of the press, Ceylan said: "We have raised awareness and started a new era in the women's journalism with sticking to the tradition of the free press. We started with 4 female journalists and now we are more than a hundred women journalists. Access to our website was blocked dozens of times, many of us were detained and arrested but our priority have always been exposing the violations of rights of women , children and all living things. Jinha was closed down with a law decree after the failed coup attempt, but we are still here, and we will be here."
 
 
MA / Fethi Balaman 
 

View More Articles

02/03/2021
10:59 20th group takes over the hunger strike
10:59 Police raid on Karaçoban City Hall: Co-mayor detained
01/03/2021
16:35 Directors of MEBYA-DER held under custody for 3 the last days
16:18 Forensic Architecture criticizes indictment of Tahir Elçi murder case
15:35 Journalist Kaya: Garé cleared off the atmosphere of the fear
14:25 Bartan's family: He was delivered to Turkey, blindfolded and handcuffed
12:43 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 95
11:29 Feminist solutions to patriarchal bans
27/02/2021
12:06 Hunger strike in prisons enters day 93
10:44 IPPNW: Expert teams should conduct investigation in Garé
10:43 House raids in Diyarbakır
26/02/2021
16:09 Former HDP administratorm sentenced to 6 years and 8 months in prison
16:08 US strikes hit Iranian-backed militias in eastern Syria
13:39 Investigation launched against MA regarding news on isolation and Roboski
13:38 From Mesut Barzani to Bavê Şêx: Tell your nation to be Muslim
11:32 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 92
11:31 Political prisoner Çetin: We won't step back until isolation is removed
25/02/2021
16:18 TGS: We will fight for the freedom of press
15:16 Non-prosecution for journalist making fun of TV series in a tweet
15:15 Application to visit Öcalan rejected once again
10:49 Türkay rejects ankle monitors on grounds that it symbolizes slavery
10:48 19th group takes over the rotating hunger strike action
10:48 'The reason for the increase in Covid-19 cases in Black Sea is AKP congresses'
24/02/2021
18:18 Prisoner alleged to have attempted to commit suicide dies in Van
17:24 Özgür Gündem hearing postponed to June 22
17:23 Journalist Hakkı Boltan acquitted at first hearing
14:00 Reaction to New York Times news on Afrin: Carlotta Gall does not reflect the truth
14:00 Mother of Rohat Aktaş: End this cruelty now
13:00 Rûdaw reporters detained
12:59 Çukurca turned into an 'open prison'
09:53 Hunger strike action in prisons leaves behind 3 months
23/02/2021
15:02 Akbaşlı who was to be released today, allegedly attempted suicide
11:17 Attorneys of Öcalan submits new application to visit İmralı
11:16 Berwarî: Garé operation was carried out to prevent PKK from being delisted from 'terror organizations' list
11:15 Hunger strike in prisons enters day 89
11:15 Components of BMG: The demands of the Kurds are supressed with isolation
22/02/2021
17:18 Students campaing against trustees
17:17 Taşdemir responds to Soylu: Where are the surviellence videos?
14:47 PEN Turkey grants Duygu Asena Women's Rights Award to Prof. Ayşe Buğra
12:19 Two more students detained after Boğaziçi Protests
10:36 Videos of the cave in Garé released
10:29 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 88
09:16 Peace Mothers calls for solidarity with hunger strikers
20/02/2021
11:50 Prisoner on hunger strike for the fifth time: It will continue until our demands are met
11:48 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 86
11:47 Students: Boğaziçi resistance is just a beginning
19/02/2021
16:40 Kobané summaries against 9 HDP MPs
16:35 Prison sentence of Gergerlioğlu upheld by court
14:22 Pekin blurts out MİT's involvement in Paris Massacre
11:35 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 85